How to waste time on the Internet
July 17, 2010
This is easy. I sometimes find myself just clicking around, bored, looking, reading, and generally wasting my time on the Internet. Here is a list of some of my favorite places to go to do it:
- slashdot - News for nerds. It's really easy
- lifehacker.com - Tips for just about everything.
- Google Reader "Explore" - finds feeds related to the things you read. This is a huge time waster, because it never ends. The recommendations get less relevant, but Google can always find something to read.
- slickdeals.net - A huge collection of good deals on anything. I mostly look for electronics deals, then wish I had money to take advantage of them.
Another few ideas that I haven't done for a while:
- StumbleUpon - a social bookmarking application. You bookmark sites you like, tell them what categories you are interested in, and StumbleUpon will provide you with an endless list of websites.
- Facebook (I still use it, but I don't check it nearly as often as I used to)
What other sites have you used to pass those bored moments at school/work/home/anywhere?
I'm Ryan Schuetzler, a husband and father, professor at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, and professional nerd. You can follow me on twitter, but there's not much there.